viernes, 20 de febrero de 2009

COMPLETE SENTENCES III

STRUCTURE OF AN INDEPENDENT CLAUSE

1. (SUBJECT) + (VERB be) + (COMPLEMENT)
a. I was tired.
b. She will be a police officer.
c. They have been in the park all day.

2. (SUBJECT) + (VERB intransitive*) + (COMPLEMENT)
d. I walked around the park in the morning***.

3. (SUBJECT) + (VERB transitive**) + (COMPLEMENT)
e. She is talking to a police officer now.
f. I wrote a letter to that woman in the morning.

4. [comment], (SUBJECT) + (VERB intransitive*) + (COMPLEMENT)
(SUBJECT) + (VERB intransitive*) + (COMPLEMENT), [comment].
g. Incredibly, I ran around the park in the morning.
I ran around the park in the morning, incredibly.
I ran , incredibly, around the park in the morning.

* An intransitive verb does not have a DIRECT OBJECT.
** A transitive verb has a DIRECT OBJECT and/or an INDIRECT OBJECT
*** [the place expression] + [the time expression]

No hay comentarios: